- Main capacities
- Artifact weapons
You can find the mage preview article on the official blog!
- Arcane Blast : Strikes the target with energy, dealing moderate Arcane damage and generating an Arcane Charge. Arcane Blast damage is increased by 50% per Arcane Charge, and its mana cost is increased by 100% per Arcane Charge.
- Arcane projectile : Launches five waves of Arcane Missiles at the enemy over 2 seconds. Each wave inflicts Minor Arcane damage. Generates an arcane charge. Arcane Projectiles damage increased by 50% per Arcane Charge. Each offensive spell you cast has a chance to activate Arcane Missiles. Maximum 3 charges.
- Arcane Barrage : Launches bolts of Arcane energy at an enemy target, inflicting heavy Arcane damage. Consumes all Arcane Charges. Arcane Barrage's damage is increased by 50% per Arcane Charge, and it hits an additional nearby target per Arcane Charge, dealing 50% of its damage.
- Evocation : Instantly gain 25% of your total mana, then gain 75% of your total mana over 6 seconds.
- Mastery: Scholar : Increases your mana regeneration rate and your maximum mana by 20% (with Mastery on typical equipment). Arcane charges increase the damage of affected spells by an additional 10% (with the Mastery bonus).
- displacement : For the next 4 seconds, casting Transfer does not trigger its cooldown.
Additionally, to show you how certain talents can build on these foundations, here is an example of an Arcane mage specific talent:
- Vivacity (Passive) Arcane Blast and Arcane Missiles also grant 2% Haste for 6 seconds. Cumulative. This effect disappears when you cast Arcane Barrage.
- Fireball : Throws a fiery ball that inflicts moderate Fire damage.
- Good streak (Passive) : Getting 2 consecutive critical hits in direct damage instantly unleashes your next Pyrotechnic Blast or Flame Shock, and inflicts double the damage of Ignite.
- Hellish blast : Hit the enemy for moderate Fire damage. This damage is still critical. Hellish Blast is not on global cooldown, and can be cast while casting other spells.
- Pyrotechnic explosion : Throws up a gigantic flaming boulder that inflicts massive Fire damage.
- C : Envelopes you in flames, increasing your critical strike chance by 100% for 10 seconds. Also grants you a Mastery Rating equal to your Crit Rating.
- Mastery: Ignite : For 9 seconds, your target burns for 30% (with Mastery of typical equipment) of the direct damage caused by Fireball, Hell Blast, Scorch, Pyrotechnic Blast, and Flame Shock. If this effect is reapplied, any remaining damage will be added to the new Ignite. Every 2 seconds, Ignite can spread to another enemy within range.
Additionally, to show you how certain talents can build on these foundations, here is an example of a Fire Mage specific talent:
- Ash storm : projects six embers that describe an arc. Each inflicts minor Fire damage to enemies it hits.
- Frostbolt : Launches a bolt of frost at the enemy, inflicting moderate Frost damage and reducing their speed by 30% for 15 seconds.
- Frozen orb : Launches a swirling orb of ice, inflicting Minor Frost damage every second to nearby enemies for 10 seconds. When it hits its first target, it grants the mage a charge of Frost Fingers. Targets damaged by the Frost Orb are Slowed by 30% for 2 seconds.
- Ice Javelin : Quickly hurls a shard of ice at the target, inflicting minor Frost damage. Ice Lance's damage is doubled against frozen targets.
- Mental Freeze (Passive) : Your Frost Bolts have a 10% chance to reset the cooldown of the Frozen Orb.
- Fingers of Frost (Passive) : Frostbolt has a 15% chance to grant you the Fingers of Frost effect. This chance is 5% for Blizzard and your Frozen Orb iterations. The effect of Fingers of Frost causes your next Ice Lance to act as if your target is frozen, increasing damage dealt by 140%.
- Shatter (Passive)Critical Hit Chance Against Frozen Targets by 1,5 times, and adds 50% more chance.
- Mastery: Ice cubes : When you damage an enemy with Frostbolt, 45% of the damage (with Mastery on typical gear) is retained in an Icicle near you for 30 seconds. Also increases the damage of your Water Elemental by 45% (with Mastery bonus from items). It is possible to store up to 5 Ice Cubes at the same time. Supernumerary Ice Cubes will be generated, but launched automatically. Throwing Ice Lance triggers the launch of Icicles at your target.
Additionally, to show you how some talents can build on these foundations, here is an example of a Frost Mage specific talent:
- Glacial point : conjures an imposing hint of ice, and adds your current Ice cubes to it. It impales your target, dealing massive damage, plus damage stored in your Icicles. It requires 5 Ice Cubes to cast, and it also freezes your target in place for up to 4 seconds. Damage can interrupt this effect. Passive: Ice Lance no longer triggers Icicles.
Artifacts are among the most powerful weapons for classes. Appearing with the Legion expansion, they can be obtained through epic storylines specific to classes and specializations.
Aluneth, great staff of the magna
Guide updated 12/11/2015 (Patch 6.2.2)